Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

The Duchess

December 07, 2010 09:13PM
I just finished reading Amanda Foreman's biography of Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, and I found it altogether rather fascinating. Foreman tells us a lot not only about Georgiana, but also about her times and her environment - lots of it will feel familiar for us JA fans of course, but there is also a lot of new things to discover, particularly in the parts of Georgiana's earlier years, which take place before the 'classic' JA times (Georgiana was born in the 1750s).

What I liked especially was that you could see that Foreman really liked her subject and wanted us to see the true Georgiana, not only the image people had of her - but Foreman did not make the mistake of ex-culpating or trying to idealise her.

I would have wished for her to explore the relationship between Georgiana, the Duke and Lady Elizabeth Foster a bit more - the Duke remained quite the enigma for me - but I think that she simply had no further material there, because a lot of the Cavendishes' private papers were censored in the 19th century.

Anyone else read this? Differing opinions? Other biographies in this vein you can recommend?

"I want you to know that you matter. I want you to know that your lives matter, that your dreams matter." (Barack Obama, 03 June 2020)
SubjectAuthorPosted

The Duchess

Mari A.December 07, 2010 09:13PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 21 plus 7?