Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

The Road Back - Chapters 52-54

February 09, 2015 03:26PM
Chapter 52

Friday November 13, 1813 – Matlock House, London

Darcy and Elizabeth strode up the steps of his uncle’s house, impatient to see Georgiana. His letter to Richard had indicated that he expected to arrive today and indeed they had made a good passage and they wished to see Georgiana immediately. They had taken time to stop at Darcy House to refresh themselves after the rigours of the trip. He had expected Elizabeth to be fatigued by the trip but surprisingly she was in excellent spirits although she had conceded that the bath which had awaited her was immeasurably welcomed.

The butler was quick to show them in and, after relieving of them of outerwear, responded to his request to be taken to Georgiana by informing him that Lord Matlock and his cousin were expecting Darcy in the study. Since he had not included in his letter that Elizabeth was to accompany him, he anticipated some surprise on their part. Controlling his impatience, he briefly dismissed the butler and they walked into the study. Lord Matlock and Richard were quick to rise and welcome them both, controlling their surprise at Elizabeth’s presence. That his letter had raised concerns on their part he had no doubts and, if he had any, their countenances would have quickly relieved him of such. After a few perfunctory pleasantries as to his trip and the offer of a brandy, which was declined, he very quickly indicated his desire to speak with Georgiana. That his uncle wished to discuss the matter with him first was evident but on this he was firm, “Uncle, I will be quite willing to talk with you later but I must insist on seeing Georgiana first.” He turned to Richard, “I hope you do not take offence but I wish to talk with her alone – as her brother, not her guardian.”

Richard simply nodded. “Of course. She is in her chambers, I believe, but is expecting you. You should also know that rumours of the courtship offer have not surfaced to my knowledge.”

Taking leave of them both – his uncle’s dissatisfaction clearly but silently expressed – Darcy and Elizabeth ascended the stairs to his sister’s chambers. She rose to greet them as they entered her sitting room and her worry as to the cause of this precipitous visit by her brother and sister could not be concealed despite her obvious efforts to act composed. His smile seemed to reassure her and she stepped into his hug which he held for an extra second or two longer than he should. After accepting a similar greeting from Elizabeth, she was then led back to the settee. Darcy sat her between Elizabeth and himself and, continuing to hold her hand, finally spoke, “Georgiana, Elizabeth and I are both greatly worried about this courtship offer that you have received. I am glad you had the sense to ask for time to respond and call on us. You showed uncommon sense my dear.”

Georgiana did not answer for several moments, her gaze firmly fixed on the hand being firmly clasped by Darcy. She briefly glanced first at her brother and then Elizabeth, her eyes pensive as she considered what must be said. With a visible effort she gathered her composure and replied, “I have spent the last day or so trying to see…how this situation came to be. I am worried that I will be expected to accept the offer because of Lord Albert’s connection to the Duke of ____. I know our uncle wishes me to do so and will argue that I should give the utmost consideration to connections and rank. Yet I cannot like the gentleman. I cannot see that I would wish to marry him…ever.”

Darcy considered his sister thoughtfully, "Georgiana, what did our uncle say to you?”

“Uncle Henry asked to speak to me and mentioned that Lord Albert had expressed some interest and then spoke for some time on the appropriateness of a match with the family of the Duke of ____. He talked a great deal of the importance of connections, the need for a family to enhance them and that such a match would be of benefit to our family as well as myself. I was left with the impression that he spoke for you on this, which I found to be disturbing. I had not thought you to hold such opinions. When I spoke of a desire to marry with affection, his response was that you and Elizabeth were very much the exception and that marriages between those of our station were, most usually, matters of money and connections, not affection and that to expect otherwise was impractical. I was confused and when Lord Albert seemed willing to increase his attentions, flattered by them, I suppose.”

Darcy relaxed, “The main question is simple, Georgie. Do you want to accept this courtship? I will speak quite frankly and state that I had not intended to allow a courtship before the end of your first season. You will be eighteen then and old enough by then, I believe, to enter into one. I can - and will - refuse to allow a courtship as your guardian, if you wish it so. That will remove from you the need to actually have to refuse the offer to Lord Albert. I think that will be easiest for all parties. As well, I am concerned that since a courtship almost invariably results in an offer of marriage, that accepting a courtship only to reject the marriage offer would be considered by His Grace to be more…ah, more of an insult because of it being made public than simply refusing the courtship offer which is private to the two families.”

Georgiana looked at the concerned faces of her brother and Elizabeth and took heart from the assurance she found there, “I do not wish for it. I only wish I had decided to refuse it in the first place.”

Darcy regarded her closely, "I think your decision to postpone your answer was wise. It allows me to deal with the matter and avoid an outright rejection.” After a brief pause, he asked, “How much of Lord Albert’s company have you had, Georgie? And what did you think of it?”

Georgiana’s expression grew thoughtful as she considered her answer, “He has called several times and we have talked – or rather he has talked.” She looked at her brother, “I find I cannot respect him. He displays no interest in any serious activities. He has not visited his estate in almost three years. As long as his steward sends him enough money, he is content. He rides, he hunts, attends the theatre and opera but for what purpose I cannot say since he knows naught of the plays. He has no time to read. His life is one of idleness.”

She paused for a few moments before looking at Elizabeth, “I may be wrong but I also sense that he holds you and your family in some disdain. He has said nothing explicit but I cannot believe I am wrong. He is, in my opinion, most assuredly convinced of the superiority of his station in society.” She giggled, “He was a trifle upset when I asked for a few minutes to consider his courtship offer. I almost refused him immediately because of his arrogance. I wish now I had!”

With a quick glance at Elizabeth and interpreting her slight nod correctly, Darcy stated, “Then this courtship offer shall not be approved. I will speak now with our uncle and Richard. Elizabeth, shall you join me or will you stay with Georgiana?”

“I will stay with my sister for now.”

Darcy nodded and, with a brief hug for his sister and a kiss on Elizabeth’s cheek, left to join Lord Matlock and Richard in the study. Entering without knocking, he found them comfortably sitting in front of the fireplace nursing a brandy and talking quietly as they waited for him. Lord Matlock waved towards the sideboard where brandy and port awaited him but feeling that he needed his wits about him tonight, he availed himself of the port. Sitting himself down across from Richard and beside his uncle, he took a sip of the port before beginning, “It will obviously not surprise either of you that this courtship offer from Lord Albert has greatly worried both Elizabeth and me. We would not have traveled hither in her condition if it were not so. We have talked with Georgiana and her reluctance to have him court her is obvious and she has requested that we reject the offer. Frankly, I was inclined to do so even without talking with her.”

Lord Matlock’s displeasure increased as his nephew spoke until he burst out. “That should not be. This is a most advantageous arrangement!”

"Advantageous for whom, uncle?”

Lord Matlock was taken aback at Darcy’s response, “For…for Georgiana, for our family…of course!”

“On this I am afraid we must disagree, uncle. I see no advantage to Georgiana possibly being shackled for the rest of her life with a man she does not respect or admire and my family does not need or want the connection.”

Richard interjected before the temper of either man could escalate further, “Father, Darce….please, calm yourselves. I admit I have not thought much about the situation we face but…”

Darcy gave a slight grin, “I suspect your attention was otherwise engaged Richard.” He paused for a moment before speaking once more, “I must also admit some responsibility. I did not expect any such offers – not so soon. I intended that Georgiana be allowed to complete her first season before having to consider a courtship offer. She is but seventeen now and I thought to wait until she was eighteen before agreeing to….” the brief wave of his hand completed the thought. “She is, I consider, too young to consider marriage and I would not see her wed for several years, if possible. I regret I did not make my wishes known to Richard before I left London, else this whole business would not have occurred. He could have rejected the offer or dissuaded Lord Albert before it came to that point.”

Darcy looked at Lord Matlock, “From what I have been able to ascertain, Uncle, several of your actions may have contributed to, or acerbated, the problem. I recognize that Georgiana is under your protection while living here, but it was not your responsibility to allow Lord Albert to make his offer. Richard should have been consulted first and his decision sought.”

Lord Matlock’s surprise and affront was obvious to them all and his immediate response was to disclaim any knowledge of what actions he could have taken that would justify such words from his nephew. Richard laid a hand on his arm to calm him, “Let us hear what Darcy has to say before losing our tempers.”

Darcy bowed in Richard’s direction and then fixed his gaze on his uncle, “I regret if my words are such as to upset you, uncle. I do not wish to do so but I must understand your actions in this matter. From what I have been able to determine, the main issue that I would have an explanation for is that Georgiana was given to believe that you spoke on my behalf in pressing the advantages of a courtship with Lord Albert. That matters of affection were of little significance and that his connections, station and income were of the utmost concern. I will not argue with you about such beliefs, we have already discussed those thoroughly at the time of my marriage and you know my opinions then. They have not changed. I do take exception to your pressing on Georgiana, opinions which are in such contradistinction to mine. I am her guardian, as is Richard. This responsibility is ours alone.”

The ruddiness of earl’s countenance increased as he listened to Darcy. Richard and Darcy watched as he took several deep breaths in order to control his choler. At last he responded, “I will not apologize for what I told Georgiana. Those are my opinions and, as her uncle, I believe I have a right to advise her where I think it appropriate. I will apologize, however, to both you and Georgiana for misleading her as to your opinions. It was most unconsciously done but nevertheless I may have allowed the warmth of my approval and opinions to colour my words. I spoke, wishing you to be of a similar opinion, rather than believing it to be so. I may well have convinced myself that, in this instance, you would agree with me.”

Darcy looked at his uncle coolly, “We may have to disagree on this point, Uncle. I do accept your apology and I am sure that Georgiana will do likewise; however, on the business of advice, I would prefer that you consult with me or Richard before tendering such advice that is contrary to ours.” He continued to gaze at his uncle until the latter acknowledged his request with a slight nod. At that Darcy sighed, “We have a problem. I must advise Lord Albert that Georgiana will not be allowed to accept his offer. The question…”

Lord Matlock interrupted, “Why? Why do you and Georgiana wish to reject it? It is a most suitable connection. He is the son of a Duke and may well be the next Duke of ___.”

Richard was about to respond until he saw the glower on his cousin’s face. “This could be interesting.” He thought, “Darce looks like he just ate a sour pickle.”

Darcy looked at his uncle with some concern and thought, “Uncle is so blinded by Lord Albert’s station and connection to the Duke of ____, that he can see nothing else.” He gave himself a minute or so to collect his thoughts before answering.

“Uncle, I cannot deny that the young man may have the advantage of being connected to His Grace and could be the next heir although that does depend on the health of his brother, does it not?” He paused again before continuing, “Unfortunately, that seems to be his sole attribute to recommend himself to me. I have discussed Lord Albert with Georgiana and with Elizabeth and I have, if you are not aware of it, come to place a great deal of value on my wife’s opinion of people. Neither of us has met Lord Albert more than a few times but on those occasions he has managed to convince my wife of his arrogance and disdain for others and as well, I might add, of the poverty of his opinions. To quote Elizabeth, his father could have gotten more value from the money spent on Lord Albert’s education by giving it to the poor. I myself was concerned about his lack of attention to the management of his estate and Georgiana only confirmed this when she mentioned that he freely told her that he had not visited it for almost three years.”

Darcy’s countenance took on an angrier cast as he continued, “As well, I have no doubt that he views Elizabeth with disdain. His words in his courtship offer to Georgiana suggest as much and, according to Elizabeth, he has shown naught but the barest civility when in her company.”

Lord Matlock’s eyebrows rose at this statement and he was about to remonstrate with his nephew when he reconsidered and hesitated before responding, “I know the Duke is arrogant beyond belief and his pride in his position is, I admit, truly wondrous.” The chuckle that he elicited from Darcy and Richard drew a small smile from him. “I had not, however, thought his son to be of a like mind.”

Richard looked thoughtful as he spoke, “I have not had much to do with either gentlemen but I must admit that, according to Georgie, Lord Albert’s manner in requesting the courtship was not…ah, pleasing. According to Georgie, he appeared to expect her to agree to it and was surprised, perhaps even annoyed, when she requested time to consider it.” He snorted, “I wonder what he thought when she had asked to consult you, Darce?”

Darcy shook his head, “None of this matters now. The issue before me is how to reject the courtship offer without antagonizing the Duke.” He glanced at his uncle and Richard but neither seemed prepared to venture a suggestion and he grimaced to himself, knowing that he alone would bear the responsibility. “I shall write a note to Lord Albert, requesting to meet with him tomorrow at his convenience either at Darcy House or at his own house - I assume he is staying at the Duke’s home, is he not?”

Lord Matlock nodded in agreement, “Yes he is. How…on what grounds will you break the courtship, William?”

“I do not wish to antagonize the Duke or his son. I believe that if I simply state that it was my wish that Georgiana complete her season before considering any courtship offers. That I believe her too young and inexperienced. I have no intention, nor would any purpose be served by doing so, of mentioning our dissatisfaction with his character.”

Lord Matlock shook his head, “I suspect his Grace will be most annoyed, although I would suspect that Lord Albert will have no difficulty fixing his attentions on another young woman - and more successfully I would think.”

“I agree most heartedly with Darcy’s plan!” Richard’s strong statement was an obvious surprise to his father. “His Grace may be insulted but the offer is private and since we have no reason to announce it, such it should remain. If it does not, the fault will not lie with us.”

Lord Matlock was clearly not convinced or resigned to the decision but recognizing that it was not his to make, conceded the issue although not before cautioning Darcy, “You realize, of course, that since Georgiana will not be participating in the season next spring that she cannot consider being courted until the end of the following season? She will be almost nineteen by then, you know.”

“Darcy nodded in agreement, “True, although it may be that we can entertain an offer a year from now after another ‘small season’ or possibly even after her next birthday. I would also expect that should Lord Albert enter into an engagement with another, we could act as we wish. Now, I must collect my wife and write a note to Lord Albert.” He looked at his uncle, “We will collect Georgiana and Kitty tomorrow and remove them to Darcy House. I believe Elizabeth and I should remain in London for a few extra days so as not to give rise to ill-founded rumours about our sudden return to London.”

Taking his leave of his uncle and cousin, he hurried upstairs to Georgiana’s room. After apprising her and Elizabeth as to what had been decided, he collected his wife, who was showing signs of fatigue, and they quickly returned to Darcy House. Elizabeth was sleeping soundly before he had finished the note to Lord Albert and, after ensuring its prompt delivery, he slid into bed and drew his wife into his arms before falling asleep himself.

Chapter 53

Saturday November 14, 1813 – London

Darcy strode up the steps to the residence of the Duke of _____. His note had been promptly returned early this morning inviting him to meet with Lord Albert and the Duke himself. That the latter would wish to attend had not come as a complete surprise; he was not personally acquainted with His Grace but his father had been. Unfortunately, the latter’s opinion of the gentleman had not been vouchsafed to him. His uncle’s views suggested that he would find little enjoyment in His Grace’s company. He apparently was expected since the door opened before he even reached for the knocker and it was but a matter of minutes before he was shown into a room, obviously the Duke’s study, and greeted by a young man of about four and twenty and older man of about sixty years. Both were tall although a few inches shy of Darcy’s height and rather heavy built, with His Grace tending to corpulence. Lord Albert seemed likely to suffer a similar fate, unless there was some radical change in his manner of living. Although Darcy knew little of that gentleman, nothing that he had learned suggested such was likely. Their countenances were sufficiently similar in features and expression as to remove any doubt as to their being related. There was a degree of pride and arrogance displayed that forewarned him that they would not greet his decision with approbation and could possibly view it as an insult.

After the ritual greetings and the offer of coffee, which was declined, His Grace chose to open the discussion with a brusque, “Your note asked to talk with us about my son’s courtship offer. What is there to discuss, pray tell?”

Darcy was not at all put off by the Duke’s manner. In fact, in this instance, he welcomed it. He had considered how best to raise the subject without offending the Duke too seriously and had decided that a matter-of-fact approach raised with tact and civility was best. He knew he would have to maintain his temper since it appeared that the father, and perhaps the son, might not be so constrained.

So it was with as calm a manner as he could marshal that he replied, “I received word of this offer of courtship only a few days ago. I admit to considerable surprise when I learned of it since I had not observed any particular attentions on the part of Lord Albert or any other gentleman prior to my departure. I have heard that you value forthrightness, Your Grace, so I will be forthright.”

His brief pause was more for effect than to allow time for thought, “My sister is but seventeen years of age. Too full young in my opinion to be courted or wed. It had been my intention not to allow any courtship offer until the end of the upcoming season when she would be nearly eighteen years of age. Since I had not seen any particular attentions being directed to her, nor had I been approached by a suitor, I failed to inform my cousin of my intentions prior to departing for Pemberley.”

He had kept his gaze firmly fixed on the Duke's countenance as he spoke. The impending signs of anger were easy to discern. A rising flush and thinning lips indicated that he had determined the direction of the discussion. Before the Duke could respond, Darcy held up his palm and quietly requested, “Please allow me to finish. I realize that you have probably ascertained what I intend to say. I…”

The Duke could not be restrained, “You intend to reject my son’s offer of courtship! This is unconscionable. Ridiculous!” The duke continued his exclamations of displeasure for a full five minutes, expressing his dissatisfaction with Georgiana, Darcy, their decision, the Darcy family and the effrontery of the aforementioned. His disparaging comments were not such as to recommend him to Darcy and, if the latter had had any regrets about rejecting a connection with the Duke of ____, they did not survive past the first few minutes of the latter’s tirade.

Darcy kept control of his temper and finally managed to interrupt the stream of abuse, “Yes, I plan to reject the offer; I must emphasize that I am not insensible to the…value of a connection to your family. However, that does not, in my opinion, constitute a valid reason to enter a courtship where neither party has given any evidence of an attachment to the other. My sister is full young to be courted and I will only accept an offer where I believe a strong attachment is developing.”

Lord Albert burst out, “She would refuse me! I do not believe it!” That the young gentleman was equally surprised and offended was readily apparent and only the firmest grasp of his temper prevented Darcy from expressing himself more forcibly. As it was he contented himself with a simple statement, “I assume, sir, that my sister is not insensible to the honour of your offer but, in fact, the decision is mine and mine alone... I have consulted my sister on this but had resolved to deny the offer before I left Pemberley. If indeed I had been in town at the time you approached my uncle, I would not have agreed to your making the offer. I intend no disrespect to you, sir, but my resolve is firm on the matter...”

His Grace could not restrain himself further, “Are you a fool? Do you not realize the significance of my son’s position? That our family is conferring a great honour on yours?”

Darcy took a few seconds to ensure that his anger at the insults was not reflected in his voice. “I can assure you, Your Grace, that both I and my sister are fully aware of your family’s position.” He paused to collect himself a little further but hurried to express his thoughts since he could see that his hosts were about to remonstrate further.

“I think, Your Grace….Lord Albert….that we need not further discuss the question of whether the courtship has been accepted. It has not. Knowledge of your son’s offer has not been made known by us out of respect for the reputations of both families. I trust that you and your family have responded similarly.”

Darcy looked at His Grace but could not tell if, in fact, such was the case although the Duke did nod briefly as though in agreement. “The unexpected return of my wife and me may feed unwanted rumours; however, we plan to remain in town for another week and will be in company with my sister on several occasions. I plan to simply state that our return was to accompany my sister back to Pemberley. If, for some reason, the courtship is mentioned, I will simply deny any knowledge of it and will simply admit a preference that my sister not enter a courtship until she is eighteen.” He looked Lord Albert and the duke closely before continuing, “I trust that will be satisfactory to you both?”

It took only another quarter hour before all parties accepted the situation. That his hosts were not pleased with him or his family was apparent by the speed with which he was shown to the door. That he himself saw no need, nor felt any inclination, to tarry and thus delay his departure was not something Darcy felt necessary to voice.

As he recounted the particulars of the meeting to Elizabeth a short time later, he could not help but chuckle a little ruefully, “It was all I could do to constrain my temper. The arrogance of the man is beyond all belief. He boasted of the significance of his family and denigrated ours. It was all I could do not to throw his words back in his face.” He grinned savagely, “I now wish I had!”

Elizabeth looked puzzled, “I do not comprehend your meaning?”

Darcy’s grin did not abate although the humour was now tinged with irony, “His Grace and his family can legitimately claim their title to be of two hundred years duration. Which is a fine thing I am sure. However, their ancestor was simply a royal favourite of questionable distinction and his roots could be found ultimately in a Bristol fishmonger.”

Elizabeth could not help the peal of laughter which escaped her, “Oh dear! I am relieved that you did not inform His Grace of the poverty of his origins. He might have ordered you into his dungeons!” Shaking her head, she could hardly contain her laughter.

“A fishmonger! Truly?”

“Well, not exactly. He got his start as a fishmonger but built a shipping and trading company that his sons expanded. Nonetheless, I admit to a guilty pleasure in thinking of fishmongers.”

Their conversation continued in this lighthearted fashion for several minutes until Georgiana joined. Her visible relief at being informed that the courtship offer was not accepted was evident and neither Darcy nor Elizabeth thought it necessary to discuss with her the particulars of Darcy’s meeting with Lord Albert. Eventually, however, Darcy knew he must mention the one regrettable aspect of the whole business.

“Unfortunately, this whole situation makes it necessary for us to remain in London for another week. We must attend some public events – theatre perhaps – and dine out several times. I am sure we have invitations awaiting our…pleasure.” The questioning looks from sister and the dismay evidenced by his wife revealed they had not divined the need for such action.

“The news that an offer of courtship has been made may surface. We will simply deny the existence of a courtship and not discuss whether an offer was made. Our presence is needed to limit the….repercussions that are sure to attend such a rumour if it arises. My uncle and cousins will be aiding our endeavours but we must also be present to show that there is nothing untoward in the situation. If we were to leave immediately for Pemberley – which I assure you I would wish to do – questions would be raised as to the reasons for our trip. I wish to avoid such speculations.” His pause was thoughtful, “As well, I wish to ensure that His Grace and Lord Albert do not attempt to cast us in an unfavourable light should the existence of the offer become public.”

Over the following week, the Darcys were much in the public attention, attending several plays and, on evenings when not so engaged, accepted invitations to dinners with friends and acquaintances and hosted a dinner for family and close friends to which Mr. Bingley was invited. When apprised of the apprised of the offer of a courtship to Georgiana and her refusal, he was quick to accept the invitation. In all of this the Fitzwilliam clan supported their efforts assiduously and Elizabeth, Georgiana and Lady Matlock received many callers but it appeared that knowledge of the offer was restricted to the families concerned. It was with no little relief that, a week later, Darcy assisted his wife and sister into the carriage to return to Pemberley. Elizabeth’s increasing fatigue at the demands placed on her had begun to concern him greatly and his remonstrations with her to reduce her efforts were unavailing in the face of her determination to be of assistance to her sister.

Before they left for Pemberley however, Darcy saw the need for a meeting with Bingley and invited him into his study following the dinner when all the other guests had departed. Passing his friend a glass of port, he said, “That you have formed an attachment to Georgiana is now readily apparent to most of us who know you both.”

If Bingley was disconcerted by his blunt words, Darcy could see no sign of it. Instead, Bingley simply replied, “I should hope that it was….And that Georgiana is aware of it also.”

“Regardless of your feelings or those of Georgiana, I will not allow her to accept any offer before her eighteenth birthday. I had not intended to allow her to accept such offers before the end of her first season and now, since she plans to miss the season next spring, I may insist she wait for a full year. However,” and he grinned at Bingley, “I will not prevent you from courting her unofficially, provided that all the proprieties are observed and you both act with discretion.”

Bingley considered Darcy’s words for a moment or two before responding, “I quite understand; however, you should know that I plan to offer for her at the first opportunity that you will allow.”

"That is as may be. I will not inform Georgiana of this and I will expect you to observe all of the proprieties with her.”

Bingley nodded his acceptance and only asked if he might call on her before they left for Pemberley. When permission was granted, he resolved to ask her for two dances at the Pemberley Ball. Darcy saw his friend out and, while satisfied with the substance of the discussion, he was a trifle perplexed at the odd abstraction displayed by Bingley as he left.

Chapter 54

Saturday, December 18, 1813 – Pemberley

Their company was now complete. The Gardiners and Miss Thompson – unaccompanied by her parents who had chosen to spend Christmas with their other children – had arrived yesterday. The Gardiners were accompanied by all their children and the newest Gardiner had enjoyed all the attention and fussing over that any infant of but five months is likely to encounter from his female cousins. That he was insensible of the pleasure he afforded them can only be attributed to his lack of years and did nothing to lessen the pleasure of those who attended him.

Mrs. Bennet had, in company with Mrs. Reynolds and Elizabeth, been given a tour of Pemberley that had reduced her normal volubleness to a bemused awe. That is not to say that she was bereft of speech but certainly her desire to offer suggestions as to appropriate changes to the furnishings were muted and those she did offer were greeted with amused albeit masked tolerance by the other ladies. Suffice it to say that, by the end of the day, even Mrs. Bennet’s desire to view the splendours of Pemberley had been exhausted by the number of rooms that she had perforce to view. So tired was that lady, she was required to remove to her room to rest for several hours.

Mrs. Bennet was not alone in her fatigue from the day’s activities. As she relaxed in the privacy of her personal sitting room, Elizabeth recalled with relief the meeting with her mother that had, only shortly before, seen that lady – perhaps for the first time – made aware of the consequences of her actions. Elizabeth, with the support of the Gardiners and her father, had spoken to her mother of her concerns about Mrs. Bennet’s lack of propriety in public settings. That Mrs. Bennet was quite insensible of what constituted proper behaviour was evidenced - within minutes of Elizabeth broaching the subject - by loud exclamations and protestations denying that she had ever behaved in a way that would offend others. Recalled by Elizabeth to her behaviour at the Netherfield Ball, she disavowed that such behaviour was improper. Neither the comments of the Gardiners not those of her husband were sufficient to cause her to amend her opinion on this matter and her feelings of ill-usage only intensified in their expression the more she was importuned.

Finally, Elizabeth realized that her mother was not open to persuasion on the issue and had recourse to an ultimatum; the threat of being prevented from appearing at the ball to be held on the first day of the new year unless her behaviour was amended, rendered Mrs. Bennet speechless for several minutes. Once she reclaimed the power of expressing herself, those recriminations about to be levied at her daughter were cut short by Elizabeth’s command, “Enough!”

Looking directly at her mother, Elizabeth stated clearly and slowly, “You will not be present at the Ball unless…”

Mrs. Bennet’s mouth snapped shut. She had never heard any of her daughters speak so to her and she was about to chastise Elizabeth and opened her mouth to do so when she heard her daughter say, “I am mistress of this house and, if you are not prepared to accept my rules, you are not welcome here. Am…I…Understood?!”

Mrs. Bennet was too surprised at the sternness with which Elizabeth spoke to answer and so Elizabeth repeated herself, “Am…I…Understood?!”

Mrs. Bennet finally nodded and Elizabeth continued, albeit in a more moderate tone, “It is unfortunate, Mama, but my experience with the impropriety of your behaviour is such that I am not prepared to expose my guests at the ball to an exhibition which would embarrass my husband or Georgiana or the other members of my husband’s family. I will not recount the many instances in which you have embarrassed Jane and myself in public, nor the damage you may have inflicted upon our reputations at various times. I will not dispute the facts with you. I am simply informing you of my concerns. However, I am prepared to offer you the opportunity to demonstrate you can behave with civility and propriety.” Gathering her resolve, she continued, “Three days after Christmas we will be hosting a dinner which includes all of the Matlock family – the Earl and Countess, Lord Fitzwilliam and his wife, Lady Frances and her husband and Mr. Fitzwilliam. If you can behave properly that evening, an invitation to the ball will be extended. Again, your continued presence there will depend on your behaviour. I would add that I will expect you to behave properly between now and then.” The smile she directed at her mother contained little mirth, “Consider it an opportunity to practice.”

The silence in the room was tense as Mrs. Bennet sat, mouth agape, the focus of all eyes – everyone rather anticipating a familiar outburst. Elizabeth could not remember her mother as quiet until she recalled the latter’s surprise when her engagement to Darcy had been revealed. Mr. Bennet broke the silence, “Mrs. Bennet, do you comprehend what Lizzy has stated? She is the Mistress of this home and has responsibilities which require her to act with a degree of propriety with which you are not familiar. She cannot have you and I and her sisters expose her and her family, the Darcys, to censure or ridicule. Do you understand?”

Mrs. Bennet reluctantly nodded and Elizabeth sought to appease her slightly, “Mama, Kitty and Mary have both improved greatly by their exposure to more refined society. There will be a number of very eligible young men attending this ball but those men will be more willing to court a young woman with only a small dowry if they can be assured of the propriety of her behaviour and that of her family.”

She paused and considered her mother further, “Do you understand what I am offering?”

Mrs. Bennet was oddly thoughtful, “If I behave properly at the dinner with the Matlocks, I can attend the ball.”

“That is so.”

Mrs. Gardiner interjected, “I will be sitting beside you, Fran, and will help.” At Mrs. Bennet’s nod, her husband said, “I will be with you also. Now I can see that Lizzy is quite tired and we should allow her to rest.”

Mrs. Bennet looked at her second oldest daughter reflectively, saying “Yes, indeed. I admit to being quite exhausted myself.” With which she accepted the arm offered by her husband and bustled out of the room followed by the Gardiners, who sent a final commiserating look at Elizabeth before closing the door behind themselves.

Elizabeth had not been left alone for long as her husband, discerning the departure of her company, had quickly joined her. Fully aware of the purpose of the meeting, his raised eyebrow and quizzical look only elicited a tired chuckle from Elizabeth, “All is well, my love. My mother has accepted – most reluctantly I must admit – that she must curb her behaviour. I hope to see an improvement but I will not waver in my determination on this.”

“Elizabeth, I would not have you become estranged from your mother over this. I am sure we can all tolerate a little foolishness.”

Elizabeth simply shook her head, “The thought that Kitty and Mary could attract more eligible suitors seemed to catch her fancy. Let us hope it is enough. Between Aunt Madeline and father, I hope we can moderate her effusions.” With a quick glance at her husband who was hovering and looking at her with an expression she had long ago had come to recognize as desire, she murmured, “Enough of Mama. I would like my tall, handsome husband to….” Before she could finish the thought she had been picked up by Darcy and was being carried to his bedchamber. Thoughts of her mother and her behaviour were banished rapidly and replaced more pleasurably by the loving attentions of a husband.

Tuesday, December 21, 1813 – Pemberley

Mr. Bennet was surprised to receive a letter as Reynolds distributed the post that morning. Putting aside thoughts of his breakfast for a moment, he considered the letter. He recognized the hand that had written it and was undecided whether he wished to disturb his meal by reading it immediately. With some regret he filled his cup with coffee and opened the letter.

Dear Papa,

This may be the hardest letter I have ever written. Before I write any more I would ask for your forgiveness for being such a burden and hurtful to you and my sisters. I know I can never absolve myself of the pain and distress I have caused but I ask for it anyway.

I have been a selfish being all my life. I know that Lizzy, Jane and you have tried to give me good principles and to teach me how to behave in a proper manner but I would not listen. I thought you all fools and could see no reason for your strictures. I was the fool and the price I paid is heavy.

I am with child who will, I am told, be born around June of next year. I have been blessed with a good man as its father. How good I knew not when I met him and it is only as we became acquainted in our travels that I came to esteem and respect him. As I learned to do so my wish to garner his good opinion increased. He has always treated me with kindness and respect. Now I believe I can hope for his esteem as well. He knows of my past and my mistakes. I told him all before we left London. By that time I knew his goodness well enough to not want to burden him with my past should he wish to not bear it. I told him all and he has never spoken of it since and has told me to remember it not.

My thoughts, however, would not leave me in peace. The minister of our local church saw, I suspect, my distress and, gentle soul that he is, did not press me to reveal my problem. He suggested that if I felt I had wronged someone that perhaps asking for their forgiveness would alleviate my distress. This I must do and feel I must also share my past with you if only to help you understand my resolve for my future behaviour as well as to ask for forgiveness from you and my sisters.

My time with Wickham I am sure you know. As well, I am sure that there was a period of 6 weeks or more between Wickham’s desertion and my arrival at the home where I was sheltered. Wickham left me at a brothel where I was told I could work or leave. I left penniless and lost and attempted to reach my Aunt and Uncle Gardiner’s; however, I was accosted by a man while trying to find a hackney cab and used most foully by him. I was lost, confused, hurt and tired. I could not believe that my aunt and uncle would now accept me into their house. I was forced – and this pains me still – to sell myself to eat. That I did not become diseased is something I cannot fathom even today. God must have been watching over me despite my actions. I was with child but due to my illness, lost the babe. I cannot regret that loss. I could not have provided a decent home for a child – I was one myself. That I was able to stumble into the home where I was eventually found and then be recovered by Mr. Darcy only makes my gratitude greater.

It has taken me many months to understand all that I have done and the reasons for it and the consequences that attend my behaviour. That I am with child now has forced me to consider how I wish that child to be brought up. My husband is such a man as will not permit our child to behave as I did. For this I am most thankful and, as the mother, will do whatever is required to ensure that my daughter, should I have one, is not another Lydia Bennet.

I would wish you to share this letter only with Lizzy and Jane and their husbands. I have sent a separate note to Mama telling her that I am with child and the particulars of our life here. I am sure that it will please her.

For you and my sisters, be comforted that we are well; that I respect and esteem my husband; and that we are building a fine living here in Canada. The war with the United States may have proven a blessing for us since many families were frightened away by the violence. James was able to purchase an excellent farm with a good home for a decent cost. We are improving the property and should be able to live quite well. I have much to learn to be a proper wife – our mother did us no favour by neglecting our instruction – but we have hired an elderly woman who is teaching me all she knows. I have no cause to repine and James seems content with my efforts. I am indeed most fortunate.

I would wish to hear from you and my sisters if you and they could bear to write me. I know I have never been a good correspondent but in this as much else, I am determined to improve.

Your daughter,
Lydia Simpson

He folded the letter and placed it beside his setting before walking to the sideboard to fill his plate with food. For some reason his appetite, healthy when he entered the room, had diminished. The reason he knew well. His guilt over his failure as a father had never borne on him so heavily and sharing Lydia’s letter with his other daughters would only add to that burden. That Elizabeth already thought poorly of his past laxity, he had long suspected. Sharing this letter could not but lower him further in her esteem. Nevertheless, it could not be avoided.

When his meal was finished, he went in search of his daughters. Elizabeth was to be found in the study, with her husband, working on the household accounts. Once apprised of the letter, Elizabeth was quick to sent notes to Jane and the Gardiners to join them there and within a quarter hour they all had assembled. With little ceremony Mr. Bennet handed the letter to Elizabeth and, at the request of others, she read it aloud.

Reactions to the recital were mixed and the letter was quickly sought by Jane and Mrs. Gardiner for their closer perusal. The distress that the three women shared was obvious to them all and even Mr. Gardiner and Darcy could not – not did they try to do so – mask their sadness, although both had suspected much of what Lydia had revealed about the previously unexplained portion of her stay in London. Darcy expressed some surprise that he had not heard from James Simpson but allowed that a letter could be expected soon. As he admitted to Elizabeth later, the possibility of acquiring land near where the Simpsons were located appeared promising and he could, if purchases were made, appoint or arrange for Simpson to have the management of them. That, at some point in the future, they might visit the Simpsons if such purchases were made, was implicitly understood between them.

After reading her sister’s letter once more, Elizabeth stated her intention of responding directly, an endeavour which both Jane and Mrs. Gardiner agreed to emulate. Mr. Bennet was led to understand that he should do so also and he knew, if he were to be honest with himself, that he must acknowledge his own failures to his daughter and seek her forgiveness. It would not, he admitted, be an easy letter to write but it must be done.

Saturday, December 25, 1813 – Pemberley

It was a boisterous company to be sure. As Elizabeth looked down the dining table to her husband, she could more easily than ever recognize traces of his discomfort with her family, particularly her mother. In contradiction to most seating arrangements, she had seated her mother next to her, with Mrs. Gardiner on her other side and Jane across the table. Mr. Gardiner and Mr. Bennet sat on Darcy’s either side with Georgiana, Mary, Kitty and Miss Thompson seated next to each of them, respectively. It was a surprisingly comfortable group and if the volume of chatter was somewhat louder than was customary due to her mother’s rather piercing voice, none seemed to take it too much amiss. There were at least three separate conversations taking place at any time and anyone not seated at the table would most assuredly not be able to separate the various threads. Since she could see no signs of distress on any countenance, Elizabeth was not disposed to worry over the matter. Her mother was currently engaged with Jane and Mrs. Gardiner to the exclusion of any topic other than Jane’s approaching confinement. That Mrs. Bennet would not be allowed to attend her daughter during the birth had not been vouchsafed to her as yet – it was agreed that this news could wait until the need arose – and the matron was quite happy to consider the soon-to-be arrival of her first grandchild. That pleasure would not be denied her since Jane planned to remain at Pemberley until Elizabeth’s confinement. Thus the plans for the Bennet’s to depart immediately after the ball were altered and the Bennets would now return with the Gardiners following the arrival of Jane’s baby.

As Elizabeth looked down the table, she could not help but recall the dreariness of the previous Christmas. Notwithstanding the company of the Gardiners, there had been little joy in their lives then. Looking at her husband engaged in a serious but obviously absorbing conversation with her father, she was surprised to see him glance up at her quickly as though her own gaze had called him. Her smile was answered by one of his own before he once more let her father demand his attention. Feeling her sister’s hand on her arm, she heard Jane murmur, “You are so very lucky Lizzy. He is a very good man.”

“Oh Jane, I know that very well indeed. I am…we are singularly blessed in our husbands. Now, if we could only get yours back home, all would be well.”

“I admit I miss him greatly. I had hoped he might return before the babe is born but that seems unlikely now. I will simply have to trust in God to keep him safe for me and our child.”

“That he will, I have no doubts whatsoever.” Elizabeth paused and deliberately tried to turn the conversations to a more pleasant direction. “I must thank you and Kitty for your assistance in decorating the house. I wished to add or merge such of our traditions to those of Pemberley that would be most attractive. I admit to being surprised” and here Elizabeth nodded at Kitty, “at how valuable Kitty’s eye for design and colour would turn out to be. Mrs. Reynolds was most impressed and delighted with all of our efforts I assure you.”

Kitty, having overheard the latter part of Elizabeth’s commendation, blushed becomingly and was quick to declaim any particular contribution. Her efforts were, however, defeated by the praise of Georgiana, Mary and Jane and she was eventually forced to accept the praise which only increased her embarrassment. To spare further damage to Kitty’s countenance, Elizabeth encouraged the conversation to meander to other topics.

The next day, following church services, Elizabeth, Darcy and Georgiana removed to the ballroom where the Boxing Day ritual was to be enacted. Mrs. Reynolds, Elizabeth and Georgiana had spent much of the previous fortnight preparing boxes containing gifts and food for their tenants and gifts for the Pemberley staff. This ritual was held every year although in recent times the presence of the Darcy family had been sporadic and a Mistress had not presided for fifteen years or more. Elizabeth could see Mrs. Reynolds’ pleasure and pride in the occasion; her smile could barely be contained as she watched the Darcys engage with their tenants and servants. That the latter were happy with the attentions paid them Mrs. Reynolds had no doubt and she had observed more than a few glances of approval directed at Elizabeth; her being obviously with child and thus ensuring the continuation of the Darcy presence was a matter of much satisfaction.

As Elizabeth moved amongst the crowd, she was grateful for the presence of her sister and husband who could recall to her the names of those she met. Indeed, she had met and greeted all of the tenants previously but some she knew but little. Finally, she found a moment to herself and rested by a table still partly laden with food and drink unconsciously placing her hand on her expanding stomach. The ripple she felt caught her by surprise. She had become accustomed to the flutterings of the babe but never had she felt his presence so tangibly and he was continuing to be active. Looking up, she sought her husband’s eye and found him across the room already gazing at her with some concern. Her smile and slight beckoning motion drew him to her and within seconds he was beside her asking, “Are you tired? Georgiana and I can remain should you need to rest.”

“I am not tired. I felt the babe!”

At her husband’s look of incomprehension, she took his hand and placed it on her stomach. The babe remained lively and her husband’s delight was obvious as, for the first time, he could feel the life moving in her body. He whispered, “Tis a Christmas present a day late but well worth the wait.”
SubjectAuthorPosted

The Road Back - Chapters 52-54

PeterFebruary 09, 2015 03:26PM

Re: The Road Back - Chapters 52-54

ShannaGFebruary 11, 2015 06:09PM

StarryFebruary 11, 2015 12:51PM

LisetteFebruary 09, 2015 10:34PM

Gloria L.February 09, 2015 09:03PM

Maria VFebruary 10, 2015 01:24PM

PeterFebruary 09, 2015 09:17PM

terrycgFebruary 09, 2015 08:24PM

RedsonFebruary 09, 2015 07:56PM

PatriciaNFebruary 09, 2015 05:39PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 23 plus 5?