Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: Gentlemen of Gloucestershire: Chapter 13

October 20, 2021 11:15AM
As is my usual bent, spoilers:

Another brilliant chapter! I especially love how you bridge the beginning of this one from his struggling perspective with the exact ending of the last.

--But Henry found it curiously difficult to express these concerns and was forced by both the dryness of his tongue and disordered nature of his thoughts to compress all inquires into the one simple utterance of her name.

Absolutely Beautiful!

--The joy with which he was answered, the raptures spoken in his own namesake, were almost shocking to him, and he nearly laughed at how eagerly she took his hand. He meant to observe that any man must be glad at such a welcome, with perhaps a sly allusion, but again his wits failed him, while his throat betrayed his intentions by turning his mirth into a heaving cough.

I found the way Henry is nearly shocked by his wife’s euphoric and eager response delightful and smiled at: . . . with perhaps a sly allusion

--Henry attempted to rise but felt strangely weak, only managing to prop himself against the pillows so carefully arranged for him. An unfamiliar lassitude hung on his limbs, accompanied by a dull ache that strengthened its hold with his movements.

Perfect description of how easily muscles begin to atrophy due to disuse.

--Irritably, he demanded to know why she sought to push the week forward by a day, which caused her eyes to widen in concern. "But Henry, it is Friday evening now."

--Anyone else he would suspect of deception or cunning. It was certainly the sort of trick his brother or schoolfellows might have practised. But his wife was fidelity itself, honest above all else: if she told him the sun was to rise at night and the moon watch over the day, he would be forced to consider the probability of a new cosmic order

I love this. It reminds me of The Taming of the Shrew – except Catherine is all sweetness and sincerity.

--This information was not as complete as Henry could wish. "But what had occurred in the household? Had the doctor spoken of Frederick?

Oh yeah, him. sad smiley I haven’t even thought about Frederick in so long and presently, I couldn’t care less what the doctor said except for Henry’s sake. You are always showing us how intrinsically good both he and Catherine are.

--"I do not know, no one has informed me. I have barely spoken to any besides the housekeeper, and did not think to ask about your brother. But I will find out, if that will ease your mind: you must be very worried about him."

Seems I have company here. Thank you, Catherine.

--Fraternal affection was not chief in Henry's concerns; indeed, provided the other man was in no real danger, he could happily wish him as much misery as Henry himself felt at present.

Ah Henry, you are so like me. I too struggle with being genuinely good.

"But did the general not say anything about it?" Knowing how Frederick's accounting of his own conduct could differ mightily from any observer's, he was sure some comment had been made to Catherine, whose distress must be acute and for whom alone his anxiety was felt.

Oh, they are both the epitome of loving concern for the other. They serve as role models in the fulfillment to the admonitions so often found throughout scripture regarding the love and honor husbands and wives ought to have for one another, further strengthened by the fact they lead their parishioners by example. In case I haven't said it often enough, I love your story!

Photobucket
SubjectAuthorPosted

Gentlemen of Gloucestershire: Chapter 13

MichelleRWOctober 19, 2021 12:00AM

Alicia MOctober 20, 2021 08:06PM

MichelleRWOctober 21, 2021 03:06AM

Alicia MOctober 21, 2021 03:48PM

Mary L.October 20, 2021 11:15AM

MichelleRWOctober 21, 2021 03:00AM

Shannon KOctober 19, 2021 03:40PM

MichelleRWOctober 19, 2021 06:45PM

AlidaOctober 19, 2021 06:42AM

MichelleRWOctober 19, 2021 06:37PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 15?