Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: Her Own Insignificance Chapter 1

August 31, 2022 03:32PM
Good point. This reminds me of an interesting essay about the difference between 'cow' and 'bull' that I read long ago. There was a slight scandal at Harvard in the distant past when some kid took the final for a English class he hadn't taken - he noticed the friend in a room, went in to talk to him, and when they passed out the exams, he took a test booklet on a whim. I think the kid got suspended, but the 'scandal' was that he got a C+ on the exam, despite not having read any of the books used in the class (or even having heard of most of them) -- I know, it sounds very quaint these days. Anyway, the author of the essay was trying to explain how this was possible, and though I thought his explanation was mostly wrong, he did discuss the difference between 'bull', which is what he called making expansive and/or imaginative arguments (as in 'slinging the ...'), and the routine regurgitation of facts, which he called 'cow', for contrast. As I recall, he claimed college professors were tired of 'cow', which made them susceptible to the imaginative 'bull' in the student's exam, whereas most of the students had been trained, by years of primary schooling, to just repeat facts.

I do think there has always been a tendency to focus on such things in schools, but then it's harder to teach imagination and creativity, which Anne V. obviously has in abundance. As you said, the conversation between Mr Bennet and Lydia was so spot on as to tone, entirely believable, and yet - at least for me - completely new.

And as to that essay, I think the author was trying to give his colleagues at Harvard as close to a free pass as he could. Personally, I suspect they just did a lousy job grading exams, and given the difficulty of establishing objective standards in English, they usually got away with it (whereas on a math or physics exam a student could try to complain and get their score fixed).
SubjectAuthorPosted

Her Own Insignificance Chapter 1

Anne VAugust 27, 2022 11:13AM

Chapter 2?

Maria VSeptember 04, 2022 08:04PM

Yes, please

HarveySeptember 04, 2022 10:45PM

LisaYAugust 28, 2022 06:11PM

AlidaAugust 28, 2022 12:04PM

Anne VAugust 28, 2022 01:36PM

AlidaAugust 31, 2022 12:04AM

HarveyAugust 31, 2022 03:32PM

HarveyAugust 31, 2022 05:15PM

HarveyAugust 31, 2022 05:27PM

HarveyAugust 29, 2022 06:52PM

Steph DSeptember 09, 2022 02:47AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 8?