Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Estancia Aldea Norteña 6: Mueve al Compás

January 27, 2023 11:30AM
"Move to the beat," the pleasurable coordination and timing of movement (Scientific American).

The next morning, bright and early, the Aguirres and Catalina got up for Mass. It had taken a long time for her to fall asleep the night before, tossing and turning, full of unspoken wishes and regrets. But she was used to getting up to help her parents at the clinic or tend the house. Aside from a few yawns as they drove over to church, she wasn't even that tired.

In fact, she felt much better as they listened to the priest and then waited in line for a blessing. Ash Wednesday was always a more important event at home than Mardi Gras. This church was so much bigger than the one at home, with so many people, the ceiling painted over with a large fresco. Even so, the crucifix and figure of Mary comforted her just like they always did. It was very good to put Tuesday away and focus on Lent instead, almost a familiar hug from her family when they were so far away.

When they returned to the pew for Tío Ruy, though, she found Javier sitting there as well, and was able to hug him in the flesh. "Is Isabel or her mother nearby?" she asked, looking around, but he shook his already marked forehead.

"I called to ask if they wanted a ride, but they were all still asleep. I think they mean to come later."

"I'm glad you're here," she said to encourage him, since he appeared disappointed. "Perhaps you could come eat brunch with us? We only had juice before we left."

"No, I have to go meet Juan," Javier answered quickly, smiling, and kissed her. "But gracias, Catalina, you're always so sweet. Maybe you can come by and have dinner with us? I know he would like that."

She decided it would not be sweet to mention at that moment how little she wanted to ever be around Juan again; likely he had a headache from last night. Javier was probably just being a good friend and trying to cover for his friend's absence. "Gracias, but I have hardly studied at all since coming, and I am supposed to look up someone that Papá knows about an interview."

"Listen to my little sister, so important! Fortunately we aren't leaving until next week, so we can just take a rain check."

"Oh, but, I didn’t think school started until March?" Catalina asked as they headed toward the front of the church, Javier letting Tío Ruy lean on his arm as she walked a step behind with Tía Lola.

"Right, but I need to get back to my finals project, finish as much of it before classes begin as possible. I'm not going to risk graduation just for leftover Carnaval fun."

"I should hope not," Tío Ruy broke in, smiling despite his stern words. "I consider you one of my best investments. We look forward to seeing you become the best engineer of the plains."

"Of course sir," Javier answered politely, helping him back down onto an outside bench. "Let me go call your car over."

It was so nice to enjoy a lovely morning at church with Javier and the Aguirres: just like they were at home, only grander. With her brother so friendly, Catalina decided she could put up with Juan through the end of the week. He was probably very sorry for his behavior, maybe even too humiliated to come with his friend, so she would not say anything at all to make him feel more awkward. It would be better to forgive and forget.

While they waited, a large car drove up, stylish and expensive. The driver got out to open a very wide door in the back, and who should pop out in a beautiful white dress but Elena!

"Oh, ¡holá!" Catalina waved, and Elena wheeled over to shake her hand, the driver moving the car out of the way as more people came up to the door. "You look so beautiful, almost better than last night."

"Gracias, I like this one better actually," Elena said.

"Is anyone else with you?" Catalina asked after they'd introduced her to Tío Ruy and Tía Lola had cooed over the dress as well. "Or is your brother coming in another car?"

"He and Papá have already come and gone. My father has many business friends in the city to visit, and Enrique has patients. But they came far too early for me; it was a very long night."

Then they discussed some of the outfits they'd seen and the party decorations. Of course, Catalina had to compliment their costumes again. Seeing the driver walk back up, probably to lead Elena away, she burst out, "You and your brother dance so very well! Are you going out again?"

"Maybe," Elena answered, tilting her head and staring, as if she had trouble understanding Catalina. "What about your friends? Are you all going anywhere fun?"

"I don't know; we didn't get time to talk a lot last night. Tía Lola, did Señora Eva say anything to you?"

"Oh yes, we spoke the whole time, and it was so very nice. Why, I got to tell her all about my new purse and shoes. And I steered her away from those awful knockoffs they sell around town."

It was not the topic of conversation Catalina meant to ask about, but very believable for the ladies in question. Then their own car drove up and Javier hopped out to help them in.

"Javier, this is Elena Tilve, we met last night."

"Tilve?" Javier asked with obvious concern, recognizing the name, but Catalina rushed on before he could say anything else.

"Yes, and she asked, and I wasn't sure: did we have any plans for the rest of the week?"

"Well yes, of course, I was just about to say if you'd let me. Juan called and we're all going to a concert tomorrow night out on the plaza. That surely can't interfere with any appointments during the day."

It was annoying to once again be invited second-hand, but it also sounded very fun and she agreed at once. "Maybe you can come too?" she turned to Elena, who looked surprised again, but then smiled shyly.

"Maybe," she repeated, then waved to them as the driver pushed her into church.

Javier said nothing as he helped Tío Ruy and Tía Lola in the car, but stopped Catalina as she was about to follow. "Why did you ask her?" he hissed quietly into her ear.

"Because I'd like to see her again, and she might like to go," Catalina answered, surprised at his reaction. "She's very nice."

"But you already have plenty of friends to do things with."

Catalina was not sure what that could possibly mean, and felt her cheerful morning evaporate as Javier explained they couldn't afford to buy tickets for more people. "Don't you think it says a lot, that Juan already thought to work around your schedule? Now you're dragging more people along?"

"Can we talk later?" she asked, nervous. "The car is still running."

Javier opened his mouth, looked back at Tía Lola dozing and Tío Ruy reading his newspaper, then drew a deep breath. "Sure, we'll talk later. Let me know when you have time."

He kissed her cheek again, but it was very quick and cold, and then stalked away without even waving as they drove off. It was all very confusing; Catalina wondered what she had done that was so wrong.

The rest of the day proved as dreary as the morning had been full of promise. She could not very well do anything else but study and work on lining up an interview when she had told Javier she would. Then Tío Ruy needed help with his exercises, which continually reminded her of Sr. Tilve and Elena, and then again back to Juan and Javier and Isabel, and she was glad to escape back to her textbook. Eventually everything turned into rain, just like at the end of a sad telenovela episode. Catalina prayed over her pillow that an evening concert would be much better than the dance had been.

When they came to pick her up, Catalina was surprised the car held only Isabel and their brothers. "What about your sisters?" she asked while sliding into the front seat, since her friend and Javier were already crammed into the back of the compact sports car.

"What, drive those babies around? They're not coming!" Juan laughed and shifted gears. "Hold on, this thing goes fast."

Despite the warning, Catalina was unprepared for just how fast they flew down the street, with Juan honking the horn and yelling as they went. She looked behind her but Isabel only laughed and clapped, and Javier was so tangled up in her embrace that there didn't seem to be any point in asking for his help. So Catalina gritted her teeth and prayed they reached their destination safely.

At last they arrived and slammed to a stop in a parking place a few blocks from the plaza. "Everything's blocked off, can you believe it? I guess we'll just have to walk."

Catalina was so relieved she jumped out at once.

At least when Javier helped Isabel out, he advised caution on the ride back. "It'll be so dark, better slow down some friend."

They fell into couples, with Javier and Isabel drifting farther behind them, whispering. "Do you know where we're eating?" Catalina asked her companion, trying to start a neutral conversation.

"Of course I do," Juan snapped. "Sorry, but why doesn't Javier get his own car, if he's going to tell people how to drive?"

"Because he couldn't afford to," Catalina answered at once, defending her brother, "and I think he's right: it can't be safe to drive so fast."

"Why own a car at all if you aren't going to enjoy it? Besides, why shouldn't he be able to get one? Doesn't your tío give him all the money he wants?"

"Tío Ricardo doesn't even own a car himself, why would he get Javier one?"

"I mean Señor Aguirre, duh. He pays for the room, the fees, everything Javier could need at school."

"Yes, it’s very kind of him, he has been so good to all of us."

"With plenty of money left! I saw his car. Old but stylish. Imported, right?"

"But that is a rental; the Aguirre car is back home. We couldn't take the train and have someone drive all the way here, it would have been far too expensive."

Juan muttered something about cheto misers that Catalina didn't understand, and decided she didn't want to. "But what about the restaurant?" she asked a little desperately, hoping they would get to it soon.

"It's good, don't worry, very top of the line. We have one like it back near the University. Plenty of steak and wine."

"Do they serve fish too?" she asked hesitantly.

"I don't know, why, did you want that instead?"

Catalina tried to say something about Lent, and Juan laughed. "I bet you got crossed, too, like Javier? I was right: you are a cute little madonna."

It didn't seem right to let him call her that, especially the way he said it, without any respect at all. She shivered despite the heat and Juan slung an arm around her shoulder. "Don't worry, my little saint, you’ll get enough drink tonight to warm right up."

"I don't want that much."

"Don't worry: we won't tell dear Tita and Tío, and it'll be so late when you get back how will they guess? I know all the ways to sneak in after dark, believe me."

He started to tell her a few stories, and Catalina resolutely stared straight ahead and attempted to recall the periodic table she had been studying just yesterday, or the last show on TV she had watched, anything to avoid hearing all her parents' worst fears about University life confirmed. At least, she comforted herself, there wasn’t any hint that Javier had done any of the stupid things he hinted about, but that was little comfort when she could also hear her brother cooing and laughing with Isabel so far behind them as the sun went down.

At last they got to the restaurant, and it proved to be far more respectable than Catalina had feared. Her brother ordered for them both and kindly paid for the whole meal, so there was no trouble over what to eat. There was a television with a fútbol game on and they all cheered when Buenos Aires won.

The plaza was already filling up when they arrived, the temporary stage awash in color. Music pumped from the speakers, and people sat out in chairs or sprawled along the pavement, almost like Carnaval was still happening.

Juan wandered off soon after they arrived, saying he had to go talk to some friends, and they settled on some chairs toward the back. Javier and Isabel leaned close in to each other, barely aware of anyone else, and after a few minutes Catalina stopped trying to talk to them. It was like Mardi Gras all over again, only without even Sra. Eva to speak to.

Then the lights began waving in patterns, a spotlight cometing out over the audience back and forth, and people shouted as the singers burst onto the stage. Everyone stood and clapped. Even so far back Catalina could hear every word that was sung over the percussive beat. Soon people were pushing away from the portable chairs, cheering, laughing, and swaying to the pulsing rhythm.

Juan had not yet returned, and Isabel and Javier got up to dance, but Catalina remained where she was, not sure about joining any strange group by herself. At least the weather was good: the stars seemed to twinkle in time to the notes, making it just as magical as anything on stage.

Then in a break of the music, she turned and saw none other than Elena and Sr. Tilve approach. "You came!" she called happily, running over to hug the girl. "Don't worry, you only missed a few songs, they're about to start again."

"¡Gracias!" Elena smiled widely, for the first time looking truly joyful. She was in a white peasant blouse with her hair in braids, and a short skirt with matching leggings. "Actually, we've been here the whole time; Enrique made sure we got seats up close. But we thought we'd look around while they changed sets. After all, someone thought we might see you again if we did." She looked up at her brother with a teasing grin, and he laughed.

"Elena, you'll have Señorita Moreno thinking we are spying on her now if you talk like that!" He was dressed very smart, in a burgundy shirt half opened at the neck and black jeans, looking like he'd stepped right out of a commercial.

"Oh, please, Señor Tilve, just call me Catalina," she said, a little flustered, and wishing she'd put on some makeup like Tía Lola had recommended. "It sounds so formal to keep hearing you call me señorita."

"I only answer to Señor Tilve when I am on duty, and I finished with my last patient hours ago," he said smiling, and taking her hand bowed over it with flair. "Charmed to meet you again, Catalina."

"Gracias Señor, er, Enrique," she stumbled over his name, but quickly stilled her heart and turned back to Elena, who looked like she was about to start laughing herself. "Do you like the concert so far? I have never heard them before."

That comment allowed them to segue into a friendly chat about music and bands, comparing styles and tastes. Catalina was amazed at how many different concerts they had been to, and admitted she had only attended one before, at a distant cousin's fifteenth birthday party. "But this one is so much better!"

She and Enrique had sat down while they talked, turning their chairs around to face Elena, but the music now slowed and more people were coming back to sit. After a few minutes Enrique asked about her friends. "I'm sure you're not here by yourself."

"No, my brother and Isabel are around somewhere, I actually lost track of them while we were talking." She looked around, and finally spotted them swaying together off to the side of the crowd, silhouetted by pulsing lights. "They're probably not coming back for a while," she decided, "so it's good. I think Juan's found other friends to sit with anyway."

Elena's smile froze at the mention of Juan, and she shared a glance with her brother that Catalina was afraid she understood. They must have seen the way she danced at Mardi Gras. Maybe they thought her as bad as all those mean girls on television, or that she actually liked to be held that way. It was awkward, especially when no one had actually said anything, and she didn't want to spoil their conversation with those awful memories.

Fortunately Enrique changed the subject before it could begin. "Well, since you're all by yourself, would you like to come sit with us? We have three chairs besides Elena's spot, since Papá thought one of his especial friends would join us, but I guess he decided to stay home." He sounded almost sarcastic, different from his usually happy-go-lucky timbre, but Catalina was so excited she didn't bother figuring it out.

"That sounds wonderful! But let me check with Javier one moment, I'll be right back."

It took more than a moment to get his attention, and then to pull him away from Isabel long enough to explain where she was going.

"Why would they let you go all the way to the front? How well do you know them?" he asked worriedly, all his grouchiness from Wednesday coming out.

"They're good people, Javier, and they have an extra seat. Tía Lola likes them, you heard."

"Just because they dress well."

Catalina could not deny it, and instead reminded Javier that Enrique was hardly a common stranger. "He's a trained therapist, he's helping Señor Aguirre."

"Yes I heard about what a big help he was," he muttered, and shook his head. "Isn't he too old for you to crush on? What about Juan?"

That was such a non sequitur, Catalina actually gaped in confusion. "Juan?" she asked, unsure why her brother was so upset. "He's still off with his friends. What does that matter?"

Javier frowned even more. "I texted him to come back, he’s supposed to stay with you tonight. Maybe we should go sit down and keep you company."

But Isabel interrupted, begging Javier to just let her go and get back to dancing. "The music's picking up again!" she said, and leaned in to whisper in Catalina's ear, "He looks yummy, you'd better go right now before he gets away!" With that strange advice she dragged Javier back into the middle of the crowd.

Taking that as her cue, Catalina ran back and announced she was glad to join her new friends. Soon they were headed up the aisle toward where the chairs got bigger and nicer, set on red carpeting that elegantly splayed out from the stage to form an inner ring for those with the money to afford it. When they got to their seats she saw there were three chairs, as promised, but all were empty. "Papá must have wandered off," Elena said, not concerned at all.

"Oh I'm sure he wandered right off to some bar with a race on. The music of the track is a siren's call, you know," he said with pretend solemnity, and Catalina laughed as he mimed putting on a helmet and honking a horn, turning an imaginary steering wheel around in time to the music.

The bands changed again and when the next group started up, Catalina saw that a number of people were gathered near the front of the stage. The music grew quick and peppy, and she couldn't help tapping her feet along and rocking in her chair as the crowd broke into cumbia couples, weaving in and out of each other.

"Would you like to join them?" Enrique asked, just when she thought the night could not get any better. Still, she didn't think it would be right to leave Elena alone.

When she hesitated, the other girl practically pushed her out of the chair. "I'll be fine: I can watch you both from here. Have fun!"

So she took Enrique's hand and let him help her further down the aisle. As soon as they reached the front he twirled her around, and then led her to saunter into the mass of couples. He was a superb dancer and very easy to follow. Soon they found an open spot where she was able to swing more comfortably as they swept back and forth, now holding hands, now clapping, but constantly in motion.

"So Catalina knows the tango and cumbia, what else does she know how to do?" he asked, one hand beneath her arm, the other guiding her along.

"I can waltz," she answered eagerly. It was actually much better to dance without that big heavy costume dress: in her capris and long shirt, she was in her element, not missing a single step as they moved together. "And I still remember the Macarena."

He chuckled as the spotlight swept over them, highlighting his dark hair and reflecting in his eyes. "Who could forget that one?"

Just when she was about to ask him a question, someone grabbed her and she was yanked off beat. She gasped as a strong hand led her away to the perimeter of the dance circle. "Juan! What do you think you're doing?"

"I could ask you the same: not so saintly tonight, huh? Too much wine maybe?"

"Please, let go, you're hurting my hand," she protested, and he did with a show of reluctance. "I thought you had friends you were with."

Juan smiled smugly. "I'm with the only friend I want to be with tonight. And you promised you'd dance with me."

"That was the other night, on Mardi Gras," she said, her cheeks burning at the memory. Juan smelled like he had been drinking again, and she backed away, not wanting him to grab her in a tight embrace like before. "I think Isabel and Javier are in the back, I'm sure you can find them."

"Then let's go there," he said, reaching for her again, when Enrique stepped forward. Catalina shrank back to him instinctively, and he looked Juan over with the first trur frown she'd ever seen on his face.

"I'm sorry to interrupt," he said in a very dry tone, then held a hand out. "Enrique Tilve. And you are?"

Juan just stared at the hand for a moment before giving it a hearty shake. "Juan Diego del Lobo, a friend of the Morenos." It sounded ridiculous to Catalina, since she'd never heard him speak so formally before, but Enrique shook his hand as if he handled such interactions every day. Suddenly Juan pulled his arm back, mumbling something that sounded very impolite. "I couldn't find Catalina anywhere and I was so worried, I just wanted to make sure she was taken care of."

"But why didn't you ask Javier? I told him where I'd gone." Catalina forgot her own predicament for a moment and walked up to him, worried. "Does he need something?"

"How should I know? I'm not about to go hunting for him and my sister in some back alley. I told him I'd look after you tonight, that’s all."

"Then why did you leave?" Catalina was getting very annoyed, especially with the way he talked about his sister and her brother. She wanted to turn and assure Enrique that Javier would never drag a girl off that way, but that sounded silly even in her head, so she only crossed her arms and strove to be as brave as any television heroine. "Gracias for checking on me, Juan, but I'm fine. I'm sure you have better things to do."

"Oh, I'm sure you do!" Juan shouted, getting in her face. Whatever else he thought about saying, though, Catalina would never know: a conga line of revelers came between them, and in the next moment he was gone with the shouting people.

She turned back to Enrique, cheeks pink, but he only held his hand out and led her back into the dancing, letting their steps talk for a while in a soothing cadence that required no explanation or excuses.

"Well that was unpleasant," he eventually commented with an encouraging smile and no hint of his earlier chill.

"I'm sorry," she said automatically, and he shook his head.

"No need to apologize, though I must admit to some irritation. Here we were, joined in the mystical rites of dancing, and he wants to interrupt just because he was late to the party? A man wanting a partner shouldn't look around to steal other people's. That's one of the commandments, after all."

"But the commandments don't say anything about dancing?" Catalina had gone through catechism just like everyone else, and been reminded by her mother more often of her duties. She was sure she would remember if there had been any prohibitions against her favorite activity.

"Maybe not exactly," Enrique admitted, grinning wider, "but isn't dance a partnership, just like marriage? And when I go to Mass, I hear a great deal about the evils of adultery and divorce. With Lent arrived, it behooves us all to be faithful to the strictest interpretation of our obligations."

Catalina tilted her head, uncertain, then saw his eyes twinkle again in the flash of the lights. "But," she answered, trying to keep up with the steps and the conversation at the same time, "dancing isn't like dating at all, I mean, not really." She couldn't help flushing again, since it would be nice to pretend Enrique had asked her to the concert instead of bringing his sister to meet her, or that he was dancing with her for any other reason than being convenient and on hand.

"Aye no, poor me! So if Tom Diego del Cruz comes back, you'll be just as happy to dance with him next?"

"Juan Lobo!" she corrected him, laughing in spite of herself at the idea of Juan as a movie star.

"My mistake," he managed to shrug as he circled his arms around to the beat, winking.

"Well I did have to answer him at least," she admitted, feeling the need to defend at least her brother's friendship with Juan, if not the man herself. "He's my brother's best friend, and my best friend's brother, and he bought our tickets tonight."

"I suppose you'll go off to share the last song, and leave me all alone as the credits roll with sad music playing." He frowned expressively, but it didn't reach his eyes. "How sad. And just when I thought we were going to do the Macarena together!"

Catalina giggled, then reached out to his open hand. "No, no, I wouldn't even dance the Macarena with him, not when I could be dancing here with you!"

"Now that's exactly what any man wants to hear." He threaded their fingers together, clasping them tight as he swung her around and the music picked up speed. Then they were both too busy dancing and laughing to talk more.

When the band finished everyone cheered and clapped. Enrique bowed from the shoulders, and she curtsied with the edge of her shirt. "You are a wonderful dancer. It would be my honor to do the Macarena any time with you some day."

"Maybe." Catalina smiled, then realized the concert was well and truly over. "Oh, we've left Elena all alone!"

"No, see, my Papá is keeping her company." It took some doing for Catalina to see with so many people moving around them, but then she found him: a very handsome man, even if he was older, and very distinguished, like some old don of Zorro's day. "Do you need help finding your friends?" Enrique asked, and she was about to agree when Javier appeared at her side.

"Catalina, there you are! It's time to leave."

"Of course, I'm coming," she told him, distracted, "just let me say adios to Elena—"

"No time: Juan went to get the car, we've got to go now."

That was so rude Catalina was ready to tell Javier exactly what she thought about his and Juan's interference, but fortunately Enrique had already wheeled his sister through the crowd to join them. "Just a few minutes, please, and we'll be going too," he said politely, if pointedly.

"Muchas Gracias for coming, and letting me sit with you," Catalina said as she reached over to hug Elena, who squeezed back.

"Gracias for inviting me: you dance really well! What are your plans tomorrow?"

Javier looked even more annoyed at all this chit chat, so Catalina quickly admitted she wasn't sure. "But I hope we can see each other again soon."

"Maybe," Elena murmured so softly Catalina could barely hear her over the noise, only making out the word "aquarium."

"We were talking about going to the aquarium tomorrow afternoon, when I finish with my patients," Enrique explained. "Want to join us? You too, of course, if you like," he offered to Javier, who only said they really had to leave.

"Sure, I'd love to!" Catalina agreed quickly, before Javier could snatch her away.

"We'll call and set it up!" Elena said excitedly, waving, and Catalina murmured a quick chau to them both before following Javier away. He held her hand tight as they wove among all the people, guiding her back to the main entrance. She was glad they couldn't hear each other right now since she was still upset at her brother for being such a bore. But it had been a wonderful concert: she'd been able to dance with Enrique again, and avoided dancing with Juan, so she couldn't stay in a bad mood for long. Maybe Javier had been worried about her like Juan said. He seemed to be worrying about her an awful lot lately.

By the time they got out of the plaza and met Juan at his car, Javier had either forgotten about her planned trip for the aquarium or was too distracted to mention it. He crammed into the back seat with Isabel again and they went back to whispering, but Catalina refused to say a word to Juan as they drove home. At least by driving fast they got back sooner, and she was able to avoid quarreling with her brother about anything by leaping out of the car, waving, and rushing inside the house.

Only as she went to bed did she wonder how Elena would know what number to call her.
SubjectAuthorPosted

Estancia Aldea Norteña 6: Mueve al Compás

MichelleRWJanuary 27, 2023 11:30AM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 6?