Welcome to our board! Log In Create A New Profile
Use mobile view

Advanced

Re: With Just a Little Guidance Chapters 37 and 38-updated-please archive this version

August 29, 2015 06:55PM
AN: Per the discussion about Kitty's dowry-I only changed a one to three but thought this would make it easier to archive.
_______
Chapter 37

Now that Kitty had a serious beau, Lady Stanford and Mrs. Gardiner spent a morning with her to talk about a potential life with the Captain.

Mrs. Gardiner began, “Kitty, we are very pleased for you that you have found someone you could consider a future with. However, there are some considerations you should include in your thinking. We only want you to have a happy future.”

Lady Stanford added, “With the Captain on active duty, he will usually be away at sea. Now, some wives travel with their husbands, but most do not. They sit at home and wait, usually for a very long time. Had you considered that?”

“Yes. One afternoon while walking in the park, we talked about his life in the navy. I do not relish the idea of his being so far away most of the time, but I enjoy his company so much, and I have the rest of the family for company, that I think I can manage it.”

Mrs. Gardiner continued, “I know he has an estate. Would you plan to live there or with your family or his while he is gone?”

“I think at first, I would not live on the estate. It would be with either some of my family or his. Since we would not be living together, I do not think I would want to set up my own household at the start.”

Lady Stanford asked, “Had you thought about the situation you would be in if you had children?”

Kitty nodded her head. “Yes, I had considered that. Once that happens, I will likely settle someplace waiting for him. It might be a place near Portsmouth, where he usually is based, or it might be near someone in the family. With his prize money, we would have sufficient for a comfortable little home.”

Mrs. Gardiner asked, “Are you also prepared to lose him young? The navy can be a precarious place.”

Kitty looked at them both and said, “Since we are at war, I realize that there is an excellent chance I might be a young widow. I actually started thinking about all this when Lydia went through her charitable experiences here this winter. Hearing about what life is really like for the wives of servicemen was as eye-opening for me as it was for Lydia. I was not attracted to the Captain because of the uniform, but almost in spite of it.”

Lady Stanford exclaimed, “Really? I had no idea.”

Mrs. Gardiner added, “We never realized that Lydia’s education had impacted you as well.”

“Lydia and I talked a great deal about what she saw and experienced when she was here. We discussed the lot of the soldiers, how it was a little better for the officers, and how very sad it was for those injured and maimed or the family left behind. While I know you think me a little silly, I really have accepted his offer of courtship aware of all the risks, or at least some of them.”

Lady Stanford said, “That is reassuring. The Fitzwilliams are an excellent family and would be sure to look after you were something to happen to the Captain, but our worry was the emotional price you might pay in a marriage due to the loneliness and worry.”

“I am sure they will be there and I will pay. You left out fear. I think there will be some of that too. However, I expect that the time we are able to spend together would be worth that price.”

Lady Stanford ended the discussion. “Just know that if you determine you cannot pay that emotional cost, you are not honor-bound to accept an offer of marriage. The courtship is actually a time for you to judge if the reward justifies the cost.”

As Captain Fitzwilliam and Kitty spent time together during visits and various social events, Kitty made sure she was following the advice of her aunts as she built a relationship with him. The more time they spent together, the surer she became that she was making a choice that would bring her happiness.

For the next two weeks, John Dunbar was a regular visitor to the Williamson home. He was a determined young man and certain that he had found just the woman he wanted in Bethiah which was why he had asked to court her immediately. He attended as many of the social events as he could as well to spend as much time as possible with her. At the end of the two weeks, he asked Bethiah for her hand. Upon her acceptance, he immediately sought out her father and gained his approval. He wanted but a short engagement and offered to obtain a special license so he could marry her in ten days. While Mrs. Williamson would have liked more time to plan a more elaborate wedding, Bethiah agreed with John. By the end of the first week in April, Bethiah had become Mrs. Dunbar, with Rachel Gaisford as her attendant at the ceremony.

Bethiah’s wedding was not as large nor socially important as Jane’s had been. There were just a few friends and family at the church to share her joy. She did not wear a fancy dress but rather one of her nicer gowns. Rachel did the same. Mrs. Williamson hosted a small wedding breakfast afterwards.

While Kitty and Rachel enjoyed the morning, Mrs. Gaisford fretted over and over again at Rachel’s lack of a suitor. She complained to all and sundry that her nerves were completely shattered by Rachel’s refusal to attach any suitable young man. “I think she does this just to vex me. There are any number of personable gentlemen and yet she does little to encourage any of them.”

While Kitty looked at Rachel with some pity at her mother’s comments, Lady Stanford replied, “Oh Mrs. Gaisford, I do not think you need to worry that she is not encouraging enough. She is behaving exactly as she should.”

Mrs. Williamson added, “You just wait. I am sure Rachel just has not met the right young man yet.”

Nevertheless, Mrs. Gaisford continued to lament her daughter’s status throughout the morning. None could change the topic of conversation for her. To Kitty, Rachel said, “I fear my mother will never be comfortable again if I do not find someone soon.”

Kitty replied, “I can see how your home life might be a little more complicated now that Bethiah has married. I am sure you can manage her, though.”

Rachel shook her head, “I doubt it.”

Andrew Fitzwilliam was as assiduous as John Dunbar in visiting his young lady, but he was not as quick to ask for her hand. The day after her friend’s wedding, he said, “Miss Bennet, I find myself in a dilemma I would share with you. You may have guessed my admiration for you. You are probably not aware of how great it is, though, but I assure you, you definitely offer much to be admired. My ship repairs are now complete. Next week, I must report to Portsmouth to see to staffing and outfitting for my next tour. I just learned of this today. I had expected repairs to take at least another month based on my last visit.”

He looked at her earnestly and saw her nod in understanding. He continued, “I cannot imagine my future without you at my side. However, there is not time to secure that future right now. I am asking for your hand in marriage. Should you accept me, would you prefer to become engaged and await my return, or just await my potential return without any commitment? I would not tie you to me if you are not sure in your heart that I offer what you are looking for.”

Kitty smiled and answered. “Given those choices, I would bind us together now. I would anxiously wait for you knowing you planned to come back to me rather than wonder and continue looking. I know letters will be irregular, but at least you can write occasionally if we are betrothed. And I would have the company of friends and our families as consolation while I wait. However, you must write to my father for permission.”

“No, I will visit him instead. The trip is not long, and I think it the right thing to do. I will go tomorrow and will let you know of his answer when I return.”

“Since you will be reporting to Portsmouth and then leaving, should I still plan on my trip to Kent next month?”

“Yes, that will give you an opportunity to meet my Aunt Catherine and spend more time with my brother. Richard accompanies Darcy on his annual trip if he is able. Darcy invited me and I had hoped to be able to join him, but alas, it is not to be.”

“Where does Miss Darcy go then?”

“She usually stays in town. Perhaps she will stay with your sister. That might be a nice change for her. She might visit Matlock as my parents will be going home soon. Darcy never told me where she was going.”

“What is your aunt like? From Mr. Collins conversation, she seems quite formidable. Mrs. Collins’ letters seem to support that description.”
“Formidable is good. Other terms might be termagant, controlling, officious, or over-bearing.”

“Sounds like my visit will be quite enjoyable.” Kitty smiled.

“It should be interesting, at any rate.” They both laughed at this description of the possibilities.

Andrew rode to Longbourn the next day. When shown to the library, he encountered both Mr. Bennet and Mr. Darcy. Darcy rose and excused himself with a good idea of the reason for his cousin’s visit. Mr. Bennet was fairly sure of the reason too and invited Andrew to sit in the chair recently vacated by Darcy.

“So what brings you to Longbourn, Captain Fitzwilliam?” The twinkle in his eye suggested that he well knew the answer to his question.

Andrew laughed and relaxed, “Well, as you know, I have been courting Miss Bennet. She is a wonderful young woman. I find that I cannot imagine my future without her at my side and have asked her to become Mrs. Fitzwilliam. She has agreed. However, I must leave on assignment very soon, before we can be wed. She would prefer to wait for me as my betrothed, if you give permission. We are therefore asking for your permission to be wed and your blessing.”

Mr. Bennet tried to look stern when he replied, “Have you the means to support my dear girl?” Since he said it with a smile breaking through, it did not come across as stern.

“I do. I have an estate similar to Longbourn where Mrs. Fitzwilliam might live when I am at sea if she wishes a home of her own. It is currently leased, but we can end that when the lease is up if she wishes to live there after the wedding. My mother has offered her a home with them if she prefers. Combined with my prize money, we may always live comfortably, if perhaps modestly.”

“You know that she brings onlythree thousand pounds?”

“I am not looking for an heiress. I was looking for a wonderful woman like your daughter. If I have your blessing, I will have a marriage settlement drawn up when I return to town.”

“You have it. You will at least stay to luncheon, won’t you?”

“I can do that and still be back in town to see Miss Bennet before dinner.”

At the table, Mr. Bennet informed the others of the reason for the visit and his permission and blessing for the engagement. The rest all congratulated the Captain.

After the congratulations, Lydia said triumphantly, “That makes Georgie my cousin-at least, when you two finally wed. How wonderful that will be.”

Georgiana smiled, “It also means I have cousins nearer my own age. All the Fitzwilliam cousins are so much older than I.”

Darcy added, “It definitely adds a whole new dimension to family gatherings.”

Andrew said, “But, if I am away at sea, I will depend upon all of you to keep my wife company. After all, family can help her remain happy when I cannot be there.” They agreed they would love to do so.

A merry group celebrated during the meal. By the time they were done, Andrew was ready to return and share the happy news with Kitty. He left immediately and was in town again by sundown and at Stanford House as soon as might be.

As he was shown into the parlor, Andrew said, “You father gave us his blessing and approval. Your sister also sends congratulations as do Darcy and Georgie. The girls were quite excited at the prospect of becoming cousins.”

Kitty replied, “So, all is well. What is next?”

“I will draw up settlement papers with my solicitor tomorrow and send them on to your father for approval. If you have no objection, I would like to share the terms with you as well. After all, it will have a bigger impact to your life than your father’s.”

“Thank you. I would appreciate that.”

Lady Stanford added, “When will you want to cover that with Kitty?”

“I think the morning after next, if that is acceptable.”

Lady Stanford answered, “We will be sure to stay in to receive you.”

Andrew stayed for only a quarter of an hour and then went straight to his mother. Kitty and Lady Stanford had a soiree to attend and needed to prepare. Andrew would see them there if he was able.

When Andrew shared the news with his mother, she determined to host a dinner to celebrate the betrothal before Andrew would leave the next week. “Although there will be no wedding, we want to make it clear that Miss Bennet is no longer available and has the full backing of the Fitzwilliam family. We must have the celebration and welcome dinner before you leave next week. We must also place an announcement in the paper.”

“Whatever you say mother. If they have already have other plans, which seems likely, I am sure family will be able to make adjustments as necessary to attend.”

They spoke for a few more minutes, and then he excused himself to prepare for the soiree. With so little time left before he had to leave, he wanted to spend as much time with Kitty as he could. He also wanted to give her a betrothal token, a ring that had belonged to his grandmother. His mother had retrieved it from the bank vault for him just that day. It accompanied him that evening.

After Andrew greeted Kitty, he said as he presented the ring, “Miss Bennet, I thought to give this to you to denote our betrothal. I hope it pleases you.”

“It is quite lovely.”

“It belonged to my grandmother, the one who left me the estate. I remembered how dainty it was and thought it somehow looked like you would enjoy it.”

As he placed it on her finger, he was pleased that the size was fairly accurate. “I know it is a little old-fashioned, but I have always thought it very pretty. She wore it constantly.”

“Perhaps it is somewhat old-fashioned, but I love it. Thank you very much. I will treasure it.” They enjoyed the soiree together and were, perhaps, somewhat inattentive to the other guests.

Lady Matlock coordinated the proposed dinner with Lady Stanford and Kitty while Andrew spent the morning with his solicitor. Settlement papers were sent from the solicitor to Mr. Bennet. Once this was complete, Andrew placed an engagement announcement in the papers.

Andrew spent an hour reviewing the settlement with both Lady Stanford and Kitty. He had been careful to ensure that she would be cared for, even should something happen to him before the marriage. She was touched at his obvious consideration.

The women determined that the guest list for the dinner would be the immediate family currently in town. Since the Viscount’s family had not come to London this year, they would not attend. Lady Frances and her husband, Adam Gorham, were in town. Of course, Darcy and Georgiana had already left for Longbourn, so they would not attend. Although Lord Matlock seldom associated socially with people in trade, he could still be civil, therefore the Gardiners should be relatively well accepted. This would be an opportunity to show their acceptance of Kitty and thus the engagement and provide a small celebration before Andrew had to leave. They scheduled it to occur in two days. Lady Stanford wanted to complete a thorough refresh of one of Kitty’s gowns for the occasion.

The Gardiners rode with Kitty and Lady Stanford in her carriage to Matlock House. After introductions, Andrew and Richard congregated around Kitty forwarding the acquaintance with their sister Frances. Lady Stanford and Lady Matlock sat together in quiet conversation with Mrs. Gardiner, while Mr. Gorham, Lord Matlock, and Mr. Gardiner found themselves discussing the difficulty of procuring fine wines due to the hostilities with France. As the conversation continued, Lord Matlock found himself moving from stiffly formal to much more comfortable. Mr. Gardiner was truly a gentleman even if he was engaged in trade. In fact, he was more personable and a better conversationalist than many of Lord Matlock’s friends.

By the time they were ready to enter the dining room, Lord Matlock was more comfortable with Andrew’s choice of family, and Lady Frances was happy to call Kitty sister. Lady Matlock skillfully directed the conversation at dinner to highlight the desirability of Andrew’s choice and what a good match they would make. By the time Lady Stanford’s carriage was called, Lord Matlock was sure that Andrew and Kitty would have a successful marriage and he would enjoy her as a daughter. Lady Matlock was pleased that her husband had welcomed Kitty in spite of some lesser connections. It had been the only worry she had about the betrothal.

Chapter 38

As Kitty’s courtship progressed, Elizabeth settled back into her quiet domestic life at Raynor Hall. There was always something to keep her busy, which allowed her plenty of time to ignore her thoughts about Darcy. She was happy that she had the opportunity to visit frequently with Charlotte as well. With her new marriage, Charlotte was not quite the confidante that Elizabeth had hoped for when she invited her to come to Surrey, but she was still a very close friend. Elizabeth could not repine when Charlotte was so happy and well-settled.

Charlotte continued to study with the herbalist and attended the sick regularly. She also visited parishioners with her husband, often bringing biscuits or other treats for the children in those families. She found her temperament well suited to being the wife of a minister and even enjoyed working with the women’s guild. Her life was more satisfying than she could ever have anticipated.

Elizabeth and Mrs. Raynor joined Charlotte and Mrs. Wilson in the parlor one afternoon to join together in sewing baby clothes for a tenant’s child who was due within a week or two. “Mrs. Wilson, I am so glad that Charlotte could join me last fall. I love having her here to visit with.”

“She makes a lovely companion, and she cossets me as my boys never have.”

Charlotte said, “Nothing more than you deserve though.”

“She is also so attentive to William and Matilda. They soon adopted “Mama” as a term of address. Charlotte is a true mother to both of them.”

Charlotte replied, “They are delightful children. How could I not love them?” At this time, Allen was in the nursery playing with William and Matilda. He was only slightly younger than Matilda and the three played together well.

Elizabeth added, “I am not surprised that you are truly their mother. You have always provided much of the care to your younger brothers and sisters and gave your mother so much assistance. With both you and Maria gone, I imagine she is finding it much more challenging this winter.”

“It has seemed that way from her letters. Maria seems to be enjoying the challenge that she has assumed. She writes that they now occasionally have a meal where the Lady’s name is never even mentioned. She counts that as a victory.”

“From what the family told me, that truly is progress. I am glad she is happy.”

“She seems particularly happy that Kitty will visit in May. I am sure Kitty will have much to tell about her engagement to Captain Fitzwilliam.”

“You know this will make her niece to Lady Catherine. I wonder how that will be accepted.”

Mrs. Wilson answered, “Surely she will be welcomed by the Lady.”

Elizabeth smiled and replied, “Well, if the stories we heard are anything to judge by, that is not very likely. She is very conscious of rank and we are not that highly ranked. We have some excellent connections but we also have some to trade. And if you think about it from her perspective, she would have a niece who is cousin to her parson. She would not necessarily want to be related to him.”

Mrs. Wilson considered, “Oh, yes, that might make a difference indeed. Well, life surely is interesting.”

Mrs. Raynor added, “Many of the upper class find it convenient to try and arrange life to suit only them. Perhaps this change in family will be a wake-up call that things are changing. I know many are uncomfortable with the new mobility, but I personally find it refreshing.”

Mrs. Wilson added, “Change is always somewhat uncomfortable, though. I suppose it means we can expect some harsh words, at the very least.”

Elizabeth said, “I think Kitty can handle anything she hears since she knows most of Captain Fitzwilliam’s family supports the match.”

After this visit, all three children developed heavy coughs. They were dosed with honey and a variety of herbal tisanes to tame the cough, fed mostly chicken soup, and spent a week or so mostly in bed. Luckily, no one else developed symptoms, but it was hard for the mothers and grandmothers to hear the little ones struggling to breathe. Finally, as the winter weather began to ease its grip, so did the coughing and the children’s energy returned. By the time the first crocuses were pushing up, the children were all well again.

At Longbourn, Darcy and Mr. Bennet greatly enjoyed this quiet month together. They each found someone with whom they could converse in depth and at great length. They might spend an entire morning on a point of philosophy. They also enjoyed riding together in spite of the cold weather, but only on days that were fair. Wet days led to long chess matches in the library. By the end of the month, they were very close friends.

From the library, they could hear Georgiana and Lydia practicing each morning. Both would then retire to the schoolroom with Miss Bosworth and Mrs. Annesley for the better part of the morning. They often visited tenants, either on foot, or on horseback, accompanied by maid or footman. All four attended the charitable sewing circle. By the third or fourth visit with Mrs. Phillips, Georgiana had stopped being surprised by her views and assertions and come to see how pleasant, if vulgar, she was. She had discussed this with Mrs. Annesley as she had not wanted to offend Lydia. Mrs. Annesley assured her that Lydia was aware of her aunt’s shortcomings. She suggested that Georgiana talk to Lydia about it. On a walk from Longbourn to Meryton one afternoon, they did so.

“Lydia, I do not want to offend you, but I have a question.”

“Do not worry, Georgie, I do not offend easily. Besides, we are friends, are we not? Feel free to ask.”

“I have noticed that your family is not very like your Aunt Phillips and was just wondering about that and your frequent visits to her.”

“I would guess you mean how vulgar she can be.”

“Yes, I guess I do.”

“It is true that she is often vulgar and has little discretion. After my epiphany in London, I actually talked to Miss Bosworth about just this. My grandfather spent his efforts on educating his son, not his daughters. He helped them to learn to manage a household and not much more. Therefore, their minds were never stretched, and since they were not of the higher ranks, no one gave any thought to their lack of discretion and understanding. Father did manage to help Mother overcome some of that lack. However, Mr. Phillips has never felt the need. Apparently, Father misinterpreted Mother’s liveliness as real wit, but it was not. Mrs. Phillips is very like her and has no children to mother. She has helped to mother all of us, particularly when we were younger. Our governesses have always tried to help counteract any vulgarity we might acquire from her. I feel I cannot ignore her because she has given a great deal of love, and she is my mother’s sister. Selfishly, some of the gossip she shares is fun too.”

Georgiana laughed at that. “I can appreciate that. And she is always so welcoming and glad to see us; I can see why you can enjoy visiting her.”

“She may be vulgar and a little foolish, but she is not mean in any way. In some company, I might be mortified by some of her comments, but I do love her.”

“I, too, have an aunt who is mortifying, but not because she is uneducated. She is just inconsiderate. I am actually terrified to visit her.”

“There is nothing you do that should allow her to criticize you at all.”

“Oh, yes there is. Can I tell you a secret? I need to talk with someone, and my brother just does not understand. I think you might.”

“Of course. And believe it or not, I can actually keep a secret too.”

“Last summer, I had a different companion. Apparently her references were inaccurate, and my brother was misled. Richard was in the peninsula, and Fitzwilliam wanted me to begin the process of becoming more independent. I left school and had my own establishment. For the summer, we went to Ramsgate. It was lovely. While we were there, a friend from my childhood appeared. He is actually my brother’s age. “

“Oh dear, this does not sound good.”

“You are right. I was but fifteen and my companion actually encouraged him to court me. I was so flattered. He finally asked me to elope with him as he thought Fitzwilliam might not give his approval. I was going to go away with him.”

“Oh no!”

“Luckily, Fitzwilliam showed up unannounced, and I told him everything.”

“See, you have nothing to regret. You were misled but did the right thing in the end.”

“Well, it turns out that Mr. Wickham had been conspiring with my companion in order to get access to my money and also hurt my brother.”

“Mr. Wickham? Mr. George Wickham?”

“What? Yes. You know him?”

“Yes, I do. He joined the militia and arrived here in town last fall shortly after your brother. He spread nasty stories about your brother, but it seems my father and aunt were able to counteract them. While he was here, he did some other unpleasant things. I hope your heart was not too touched by him.”

“I think at first it was. No one had ever courted me before. Then I was angry and embarrassed about having fallen for his flattery. Now, I just fear that someone will find out about our intended elopement.”

“I will not tell. And there is no way that Mr. Wickham can.”

“Why do you say that?”

“He went a bit too far, apparently forgetting about military discipline. He tried to elope with another young lady, and being absent without leave, found himself subject to court martial. He was executed for desertion near the end of February. You will not have to worry about him again.”

By now, the girls were in town, strolling along the street looking in store windows, with Miss Bosworth and Mrs. Annesley trailing behind them. They would shortly be at Mrs. Phillips’ house. Georgiana was shocked at the revelation. “I guess you are correct that I need not worry about him. And I doubt that Mrs. Younge would say anything as it reflects so poorly on her.”

As they reached Mrs. Phillips‘ house, Lydia assured her, “You have nothing to worry about. You had a lapse in judgment that was promoted by one you should have been able to trust and corrected it immediately.”

As they seated themselves in the parlor with Mrs. Phillips, they heard, “You will never guess. The militia is to transfer to Brighton. Harriet Forster was just here telling me all about it. Had they waited but another month, you might have attended Harriet, Lydia. You and she have always been such friends. Since you are on the verge of coming out, just think of the fun you could have had.”

Inwardly, Lydia actually shuddered at such an opportunity. Her aunt would never understand why she would not have enjoyed it now, although perhaps the previous autumn she would have. However, she replied, “Well, perhaps that is so. Harriet has always been a good friend and marrying the colonel did not change that. But, we have so many plans for summer that I likely could not have gone to Brighton in any case.”

Georgiana added, “It will certainly change the social scene around here when the militia leaves, will it not?”

“Goodness yes. Why, I have had the officers in regularly to card parties and suppers. Most of the families have done so. In spite of what happened with Lieutenant Wickham, they have been a nice addition to the neighborhood. There are so few men around that they will be greatly missed.”

Georgiana was shocked to hear of his demise again after learning of it so recently. However, she found that, while she was sad for him, it caused her no real pangs. She merely commented, “I understand that was a sad business.”

Lydia added, “At least most of the officers are truly gentlemen, if a little low in funds.”

After the visit, the girls continued the conversation on the way back to Longbourn. Lydia reiterated, “You were only a little foolish and only because you could not rely on one who should have been reliable. You thought of taking a mis-step, you never took it. Do not berate yourself too much.”

“My worry is how can I possibly trust my judgment when it comes to men? I was so taken in by his flattery. What if it happens again? I would not want to make a mess of my life.”

“You know you can trust Mrs. Annesley. And now you have other friends too, like Lizzy, Jane, Kitty, and me, and Kitty’s friends. Any of us would set you straight if we saw you falling for someone unreliable.”

“That means so much to me. It was one of my big worries about my Season, and there was no way to adequately explain it to Fitzwilliam. He could not really understand my fears.”

“We will be there to support one another. And since Captain Fitzwilliam will be at sea, Kitty should be around to help too. And so far, her friend Rachel will be too. We can all keep each other safe.”

After this conversation, Lydia approached her father with a new suggestion. Perhaps Georgiana could benefit from Lady Stanford’s advice and assistance much as Lydia would. Could Georgiana and Mrs. Annesley return at the end of the summer so that Georgiana might come out in the quieter environment of Meryton and thus gain confidence much as Lydia would? Georgiana’s other alternative was Lady Matlock whom Georgiana found somewhat overwhelming. After some correspondence with Lady Stanford, Mr. Bennet discussed this possibility with Darcy who tentatively agreed.

In London, Kitty spent as much time as possible with Captain Fitzwilliam. As he left for Portsmouth, they promised to write. While she would remain with her aunt through the remainder of April, she would cut back on the remaining social engagements. She would no longer attend Almack’s and would only attend a couple of the larger balls to which she was invited. She would also attend some musical evenings and the theater. She would forgo the other balls since she could not dance with Andrew. Kitty had enjoyed her Season but was actually pleased not to be quite as busy for the last few weeks. It also allowed her to visit her Aunt Gardiner more than previously, which both appreciated. She also took advantage of Andrew’s absence to spend time with Lady Frances who would one day be her sister.

Three days after Andrew’s departure, the Bingleys returned to town. Jane called at Stanford House to catch up.

“So, what has happened with your Season while I’ve been away?”

Kitty laughed. “Rather a lot. My friend Miss Williamson is now Mrs. Dunbar.”

“I did not even realize she had a beau.”

“They met at Almack’s the week after your wedding.”

“Well, they certainly knew what they wanted quickly, didn’t they?”

“Yes, they did. They should be back from their wedding trip in a day or two. It will probably not surprise you that Captain Fitzwilliam and I are now betrothed.”

“We could see that possibility on its way.”

“Well, he is now at sea again. We will wed when he returns from his tour.”

“How happy you must be.”

“Yes, I truly am. He is a good man, and I look forward to a long and happy life together.”

While they talked together, Kitty noted that Jane still radiated the happiness she had exhibited on her wedding day. It was obvious that the Bingleys were very happy together. She asked, “When will you visit Mr. Bingley’s cousins in York?”

“We will leave London in another week for York. We visit there for a month before returning to Netherfield for the summer. We might be there by the time you return from Kent.”

Kitty smiled, “It will be so lovely to have you live near us. I so enjoyed having you stay last autumn. It has been years since we spent so much time together.”

“I suppose that is what happens as we mature and marry, our little family changes and disperses. I too enjoyed that time together.”

“Did you enjoy Wiltshire?”

“Yes, we did. The standing stones there are quite impressive. It is a lovely area.”

Kitty visited with Bethiah Dunbar once she returned from her abbreviated wedding trip.

“How will you like living in London? Your home is very nice.”

“I think I will enjoy it. We have a nice little place, and John says I may make any changes I think necessary. Really, there is very little to change. You must visit me whenever you are in town.”

“Of course, I will. I will write you of what I find in Kent.”

“After hearing about the Captain’s aunt, I certainly want to hear your impressions and escapades.”

The Bingleys attended a few social events before leaving for York. He was much gratified at the various invitations and reciprocated by inviting a number of people to attend shooting parties at Netherfield in the autumn. They left shortly before Caroline’s wedding without ever acknowledging their invitation. The Hursts were still in Sussex but at least they were now regular correspondents.

After quite a bit of correspondence with her father, Kitty invited Rachel Gaisford and Lurinda Williamson to come visit her in Longbourn after her sojourn in Kent. Rachel still had no suitor and her mother’s nerves were in a continual flutter. Rachel was anxious to spend as little time as possible with her mother. They would arrive to spend the month of June.

As the three talked one day shortly before Kitty was to leave, Lurinda said, “We are so grateful to come spend the month with you.”

Rachel added, “You must know how difficult Mother is now. All she can talk of is the need for me to marry well. There is no conversation that does not steer toward marriage.”

Kitty replied, “She just loves you and want you well settled.”

Rachel said bitterly, “It seems as if that is all that is left in her mind though. It was not quite so bad early in the Season, but now that it is almost over, I seem to be a huge disappointment.”

Lurinda added, “She would probably not be quite so upset if I were still in my own home. That I am a widow without a home preys on her mind.”

Kitty said, “Well, we shall have a wonderful time together with no thought for suitors. I can hardly believe the Season is over. So much has happened.”

Rachel said, “I wish we could stay longer, but we must return home next week. Your invitation is greatly welcome.”

Lurinda added, “Even if you come to live in London at some point in the future, you will always remember this year when you first joined society. It is the start of the next stage of your lives.”

Kitty replied, “Having you visit will help me adjust to this time away from Captain Fitzwilliam. I am sure Lydia will enjoy it as well.”

Their final days together in town continued to be busy. Kitty packed to remove to Kent the day after a pleasant evening at the theater. She thought of the heroine in the piece who seemed to be very foolish. As she considered her, she realized that either she or Lydia could have been just as foolish if their aunts had not helped them learn to see what the consequences of their foolishness could be. She was very satisfied at her Season.
SubjectAuthorPosted

With Just a Little Guidance Chapters 37 and 38

ShannaGAugust 26, 2015 06:55PM

Re: With Just a Little Guidance Chapters 37 and 38-updated-please archive this version

ShannaGAugust 29, 2015 06:55PM

Re: With Just a Little Guidance Chapters 37 and 38

terrycg_not_logged_inAugust 28, 2015 05:03AM

Linnea EileenAugust 27, 2015 07:39PM

Lucy J.August 27, 2015 05:10AM

nastasiatAugust 27, 2015 12:24AM

Doesn't Kitty have more than 1000 pounds?

GracielaAugust 26, 2015 08:44PM

Re: Doesn't Kitty have more than 1000 pounds?

ShannaGAugust 29, 2015 06:56PM

ShannaGAugust 26, 2015 09:34PM

KentAugust 27, 2015 03:05PM

Margaret FAugust 27, 2015 04:06PM

ShannaGAugust 27, 2015 04:42PM

KentAugust 27, 2015 09:04PM

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 23?